Sunday, March 23, 2008

Concessions for a new CD

Hey, today a very simple topic, since I just finished a 2 hours selection process for a new music CD. The compilation process for me is a 3 step approach, finding the CD topic, finding music that matches the topic, cutting down songs to tell the story. The tricky part is the last one as you would expect, I mean a topic comes to me out of need for a new CD, thus it is more of the triggering event for the whole process. Finding songs is an easier task, I have a big library to choose from, and also I have good memory for specific songs that I tag in my brain to put on certain topic areas. The cutting down process is the hard part, 80 minutes is quite short for any topic, and more than once I was forced to do a double CD to be able to coupe with this. The thing is to tell the story you need some songs, the ones that have to be there (in specific places of the CD) but this is not enough because you need to bridge between these "main" songs. This is the key, the right flow for the CD defines it more than its topic or main attractions, the story should not be told randomly but in a way the listener will understand... The main problem lately is I have too many core songs (which is a pain in the ass since I need to place them in specific positions) thus making it hard to fit them together with a flow, dam the abundance of things to say...
Anyways it is done, a CD called "so fuck you...” the other word "goodbye" might be added in time, I kept you posted as promised :P.
The content of the CD, well I’ll supply it to those who demand it, still it is a very personal one...
That is it tomorrow I hope I’ll talk more...

No comments: