Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Emotional vs. Rational

A complex topic especially for the time I have to write about it, tomorrow I go to Milan, again, thus I’ll be absent for a few days. I didn't want to lose this chance of talking about this topic since it was raised today.
First I’d like to analyze the statement "Emotional vs. Rational", who among the readers thinks this is something that happens often? Who believes that emotions are the defining aspect of ones soul (or whatever you want to call it)? Who among you has been conflicted between emotions and reason? Well I must say I have, but I must add it was because of lack of perspective :P. The thing is reason is as bigger part of us as emotions, reasons validate emotions, and emotions validate reasons, it is a symbioses and not a fight between them. I know at times it feels as such, but it is just a matter of adjusting to the right perspective.
This is a long topic, I would love comments on the example that I interpreted today.
The argument was if you don't like someone because you feel it as such, there is nothing you can do about it to change this feeling. Well as I replied, this is actually not true, it simply depends on the amount of effort you are willing to put into to it.
When you need, and I emphasize the NEED, to get along with someone who you dislike, you have two choices, actually three which we'll disregard because I emphasize the NEED. One you can be false faking everything and get along with the person, hard to do depending on the type of person you are. Second choice, you can make an effort to change your point of view as many times as necessary to understand and get to know the person, this might be a task bigger than life at times, but surely never impossible, although I am considering myself as barometer it seems to be it is always a matter of effort. I admit that most of the times I can't be bother, but then again most of the times I don't need to get along with people. This is like when you meet someone who you really dislike and after you get to know them (see different perspectives) you start really liking them. Obviously I know sometimes even when we see all we still can't like someone, because of our own standards but at the very least we won't dislike them... The smartest of us know how to change perspectives in order to see beyond the obvious, even if we can't normally be bother to do it.
Going back to the point, perspectives are controlled by our rational side, and they affect our emotional side, which in turn affects or reasoning, molding our rational side it to fit our emotions. Once we are aware of this balance we can interfere with it, although this interference might not always produce the intended results... Or not, do comment on this one...

No comments: