Monday, May 12, 2008

A bit of the past...

... To understand the future, or so someone more corny would say, yet the concept came to me out of the blue. Today I didn't want to just post a video, wanted a change, so I thought a photo, thus my journey into the past began.
The thing is I don't want to talk too much, but well 10 years have past and here I am contemplating such records of time...



The beginning of a trip, Lisbon as a background, in the boat towards the future... I have to note that in this picture are absent some important people (Nena, Marta, Guy (although absent from the trip)) who came latter yet it was the beginning...
I feel compelled to tell the story of these kids, well we would have hated that word, these mature dudes :P, how was it that one of us put it... The cream of society!
A bit arrogant I know, and just for the record it wasn't me, it came from the most unexpected dude of the group :P
It is funny to see the future from the past, that is how I feel looking at this photo, I feel I am there but I can see it all, I feel sad for them (including me), I see the potential and all the wonder in this group, yes yes I know it is cliché, yet it is true.
People go there separate ways, nothing like 10 years to show you that, yet the feeling of so much more that you had at the time that seemed so real, leads to...
Well not complaining I still hold some friends from that group, one great one (not on the picture), but you feel that it could have been much more...
That is life for you, I am now something I could not imagine then, and yet I feel the same kid, yes I can say kid now, that I was then, I simply understand more... Perhaps experience isn't just the bullshit word we thought it was in our youth.
Life takes us to unexpected places, indeed it does, I feel bad I have little visual memories of my life, I always thought that the memories in my brain would be enough, I was wrong looking at this triggers so much more than what I remember...
Anchors of my past still remain, but their weight can't be measure in just their current impact, event the anchors that are long gone had their effect on me...
Nostalgia is a very Portuguese thing, or maybe not, we like to think of "Fado", fate, destiny, nostalgia, feeling of something that you miss, this word that you can simply feel at times, this is one of those times...
Before I end, and I am talking too much already, I will add music to this, it fits like a glove, or so I’ve been told by another person not of this group but of this time, this is one of the songs we'll remember always, and thus a tribute to you and to the kids in the picture...

1 comment:

João Marques said...

Really old school photo! With picture like these, far far back in time, we realise that simple details may(quite probably will) become big differences in the future! The question is to notice which of them we can´t miss...