Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What is harder, to write or to edit?

Well today I have a pragmatic topic, what is harder to write or to edit? Well, the immediate response is writing, but is it? Writing is very hard it is creating something from nothing, it requires a specific state of mind, creativity, inspiration, art... It is funny but writing is as much about art as it is about content.

Creative writing, this is what we need to produce when writing a thesis, at least in my field... It is as much as the way you tell the story as it is about the content. And I reach my point, the problem is writing is mostly about the content, the editing part is the one where you do the creative writing, restructure, cover holes in the story, put more content, shift things around, etc...

Funny enough, I think writing is harder, to start something is always harder than to change something that already exists (well maybe for programming with certain code this is not true :P). I have more respect for editors though, you don't need great inspiration, but you require a lot of art, and it takes longer than what you envision... In the end of the day, shaping something to look go can be harder than to create something...

I am a ideas men, this means I have loads of ideas about any given topic, when I writing I tend to have a lot of things in mind, and these things don't always transpire in the text. Thus, editing my things does take a lot of effort from me, and honestly I find it has hard as writing... But in a simpler way... Not sure this makes sense, but editing is as hard as writing but more straightforward, simpler, as writing is more complex but less caring...

Well  what is the moral of the story? Anything related to writing or editing is hard... Funny enough blogging is easy... I wonder if the difficulties are content related! ;) (everything is clearer for the things we like doing) ;)

No comments: