Friday, March 6, 2009

Grub 1.5 and the error 22

Hey, so this is a overdue post from last Wednesday, nevertheless I think it is important to share this experience. So I was installing Linux Ubuntu 8.10 on my newish laptop (Since Christmas I have bean meaning to do it) and I ran into some problems. In the course of events I ended up having to format my computer, I know in the course of events sounds too wide, but I don't want to describe the whole process. So I'll describe what happens, I installed Linux, that was fine, Grub 1.5 which is the boot loader was working fine, but as soon as I went to Windows Vista, the system detected something in the partitions and suggested to do a diagnostics. Until here it nothings strange, but this actually messed up the Grub 1.5, so when I restarted I got the "the error 22".
Long story short, the best way to get rid of this is to reinstall Linux but do it on the partition that you used before. It took me some iterations to reach this conclusion. Now I have all of it set up, but it took a lot of work to reinstall Windows and Linux. On the upside the several iterations helped me learn this simple thing, learn how to install Linux manually, that is not the guided way, it saves you a lot of trouble. And if you get "the error 22" well hope this helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.