Friday, September 19, 2008

Making adult decisions...

Well, this is one of those topics that has the potential to be quite cliche. Nevertheless, today I should actually address it not due to new realizations but due to old ones being applicable to me. In my life I always had the need to assess others in order to understand my surroundings, and at times this induces certain logical thoughts that you understand but don't quite get.
The post is about one of these, the difficulties to make adult decisions. First of all is it hard to make adult decisions, and don't get me wrong i am not talking about sensible decisions, I am talking of the power to make unilateral real world decisions, that affect others, being commitments, contracts, buying expensive stuff, I guess it is all summarized in one word "choice" but with liability. This is what makes the difference, the liability, I mean we are always liable for our choices but society is organized in such a way that it makes this liability a key aspect (as it should).
The thing is, I am a 27 year old kid, who has more power than he bargain for, and it is still a big surprise for me the acting like an adult thing. I know how to do it, I have to do it a lot at work and things, but still I don't quite feel comfortable in this role, like assessing co-workers which I had to do when I was a consultant. I know I am very full of myself, but I mean it does have a different weight when other things are involved, especially because there are more unknowns, harder to control, contain, to predict. Well this is not true, you simply have to care less to deal in such terms, leave a bit of who you are behind, I guess this is the growing up thing that people talk about, changing the views, or simply accepting that we need to shift where we look. Different weights in decisions, require harder backbones, after all adult decisions don't have the cushions for mistakes you have in your youth, parents do give some grown up support but it is hardly the same thing. Ultimately it is about liability, the fear of failing and being accountable, well such is life, but if you know something to be true go for it, after all like my mom said if it is not a health problem, you can solve anything else...

No comments: